Avoid the Dangerous Link Between Diabetes and Periodontal Disease
Have you heard about the rising risk of dental problems among people with diabetes? Find out what you need to know.
Why Diabetes and Periodontal Disease are Cause for Concern
Dentists are so alarmed about diabetes and teeth because research has shown that diabetes can affect your dental health. Apparently, having high blood sugar raises your risk for many dental problems. But taking care of your teeth and managing your blood sugar level can protect you from dental problems including:
- Periodontal disease, which is the most serious form of gum disease
- An oral fungal infection called thrush
- Dry mouth, which can lead to tooth decay, oral infections, and mouth ulcers
6 Ways to Prevent Possible Problems with Diabetes and Teeth
Armed with this knowledge about diabetes and periodontal disease, you must make certain lifestyle choices and changes to avoid any problems. Follow these six smart tips to keep yourself healthy:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day, preferably after each meal.
- Floss on a daily basis.
- If you have dentures, make sure to remove and clean them each day.
- Get dental check-ups and cleanings every six months, but even more often if you suffer from diabetes and oral health problems.
- Stop smoking.
- Control your blood sugar level.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Capitol Heights, call Dental One Associates at Steeplechase today at (240) 392-3983 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Capitol Heights. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Steeplechase, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Steeplechase.