Feel Well and Heal Well after Pulling Teeth
For most people, recovery after a tooth extraction is quick and easy and they are able to resume their normal activities in close to a week. To help yourself get toothache relief and make a healthy recovery, take this expert advice.
The First 24 Hours After Tooth Extraction
For the first few hours following a tooth extraction, expect to experience some swelling, bleeding, and pain. The amount of discomfort you feel will be affected by the number of teeth pulled, the complexity of the overall tooth extraction, signs of infection, and your tolerance for pain. Be assured that any pain and problems will lessen each day as you heal. But if the pain gets worse, it may be due to a dangerous condition called dry socket. Your dentist will create conditions to enable a blood clot to form in the socket after a tooth extraction. This helps the area heal. If that clot gets dislodged, then dry socket can occur and cause a painful infection, which will require urgent care and medication. This occurs in only a small number of cases, but it’s important to take precautions to ensure a speedy and safe recovery.
7 Tips for Steady Healing
Now that you know what to expect after pulling teeth, you need to know how to handle it. Simply follow these tips for toothache relief and healing, and you’ll be feeling fine in no time:
- Take painkillers for toothache relief as prescribed by your dentist.
- Apply ice packs to the face or jaw to reduce swelling and pain.
- Do not forcefully rinse, spit, or suck after a tooth extraction to ensure that you don’t disrupt the protective blood clot in the socket.
- Eat soft foods and drink liquids for the first few days, slowly adding back solid foods after that time.
- Gently rinse your mouth with warm salty water a few times each day to help reduce swelling, pain, and the risk of infection.
- Continue to brush and floss your teeth as always, taking care not to disrupt the blood clot.
- Follow the dentist’s aftercare instructions and you should be able to resume your normal activities in about a week.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Capitol Heights, call Dental One Associates at Steeplechase today at (240) 392-3983 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Capitol Heights. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Steeplechase, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Steeplechase.