Tips for Tooth Decay Prevention
Keeping your healthy smile is easier when your dental care routine focuses on preventing cavities. Whenever you eat carbohydrate foods like cookies, chips, and crackers, they coat the surface of your teeth. When bacteria in your mouth convert the filmy residue into acid, it begins to slowly dissolve your enamel and the dentin layer beneath. The process creates small holes that we call cavities.
Tooth decay prevention involves consistent dental care, healthy eating habits, and close attention to developing problems. The tips below can help you with preventing cavities:
- Brush your teeth twice every day and always brush at bedtime. Use a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste. When convenient, brush after every meal.
- Fluoride mouth rinses may also help fight cavities.
- Use dental floss or interdental cleaners to clean between your teeth every day.
- Eat healthy, balanced meals, and limit your between-meal snacks. Avoid carbohydrate foods like candies, chips, cookies and crackers. These foods remain on the surface of teeth and encourage plaque formation. If you do consume sticky or sugary foods, brush your teeth immediately afterwards.
- Drink fluoridated water. If it is not available, ask your dentist about supplemental fluoride treatments that can help strengthen your tooth enamel.
- Consider dental sealants. These products are plastic coatings applied to the chewing surface of molars to protect them from tooth decay.
- Schedule regular visits with your dentist for oral exams. Routine visits can check the progress of any existing dental issues and detect new problems before they become serious.
- Have your teeth cleaned professionally once or twice a year.
- Keep current with new developments in tooth decay prevention. Promising treatments include xylitol, dental materials that release fluoride slowly over time, and dental care products that reverse cavities.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Capitol Heights, call Dental One Associates at Steeplechase today at (240) 392-3983 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Capitol Heights. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Steeplechase, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Steeplechase.